What Can You Expect at a Routine Dental Exam?
During your oral exam at Mayfaire Family Dentistry, you can expect the following to take place:
- A dental assistant will take X-rays of your mouth to give Dr. Overton a closer look at what is taking place beneath the surface of your gums.
- Dr. Overton will carefully examine your teeth, gums, mouth, and neck for signs of dental disease, including decay, periodontal disease, and oral cancer.
- He will also make sure that all of your previous dental treatments are in good condition, such as fillings, crowns, and bridges.
- Finally, Dr. Overton will recommend how to best care for your smile, as well as provide a personalized treatment plan for any concerns he identifies.
After your dental health check-up is complete, your professional cleaning will take place. During a dental cleaning
- A dental hygienist will examine your gums for problems, such as inflammation or recession.
- Next, she will gently scrape the surface of each tooth with a specialized tooth to remove plaque and tartar build-up that is impossible to remove with normal brushing at home.
- Once your teeth are tartar-free, the dental hygienist will floss between your teeth.
- Lastly, she will polish your teeth with a fluoride paste.
Having your teeth examined and cleaned on a regular basis at the dentist is an essential step in maintaining good oral and overall health for many years. Both your teeth check-up and cleaning should take about an hour and be virtually painless.