Routine Dental Exams in Wilmington, NC
Visiting the dentist for routine dental exams and cleanings is a good thing to do, but is it really necessary? The answer is absolutely yes! Even when your smile appears to be healthy and beautiful, having your teeth and gums looked at and cleaned by a professional is a critical step in treating and preventing minor dental diseases that can progress quickly. At Mayfaire Family Dentistry in Wilmington, Dr. Overton and his friendly team are committed to providing exceptional dental care to each patient who visits our office. Here’s what you should know: comprehensive oral exams could benefit you before scheduling your next appointment.
We Treat Your Smile with a Smile
Custom-Tailored Dentistry for the Whole Family
What Is a Dental Exam?
A dental health check up is a check-up that allows the dentist to examine your teeth, gums, and oral cavity for potential oral health problems or disease, followed by a professional dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar build-up from the surface of your teeth. Dental health check ups consist of two parts: the exam itself performed by the dentist and the professional cleaning performed by a dental hygienist. Teeth checkups play a vital role in identifying and preventing oral health concerns that could lead to serious long-term problems, such as cavities and gum disease.
How Often Should You Get a Dental Exam?
According to the American Dental Association (AAD), children over the age of one and adults of all ages should have their teeth examined by a dentist twice a year. In some circumstances, it may be necessary for a person to visit Dr. Overton more frequently to address a specific issue, such as gingivitis. Once the problem is resolved, however, the person can resume normal biannual exams.
What Can You Expect at a Routine Dental Exam?
During your oral exam at Mayfaire Family Dentistry, you can expect the following to take place:
- A dental assistant will take X-rays of your mouth to give Dr. Overton a closer look at what is taking place beneath the surface of your gums.
- Dr. Overton will carefully examine your teeth, gums, mouth, and neck for signs of dental disease, including decay, periodontal disease, and oral cancer.
- He will also make sure that all of your previous dental treatments are in good condition, such as fillings, crowns, and bridges.
- Finally, Dr. Overton will recommend how to best care for your smile, as well as provide a personalized treatment plan for any concerns he identifies.
After your dental health check-up is complete, your professional cleaning will take place. During a dental cleaning
- A dental hygienist will examine your gums for problems, such as inflammation or recession.
- Next, she will gently scrape the surface of each tooth with a specialized tooth to remove plaque and tartar build-up that is impossible to remove with normal brushing at home.
- Once your teeth are tartar-free, the dental hygienist will floss between your teeth.
- Lastly, she will polish your teeth with a fluoride paste.
Having your teeth examined and cleaned on a regular basis at the dentist is an essential step in maintaining good oral and overall health for many years. Both your teeth check-up and cleaning should take about an hour and be virtually painless.
Schedule Your Routine Dental Exam at Mayfaire Family Dentistry
A healthy, beautiful smile is an invaluable asset that can tremendously impact your overall quality of life. Because of this, jeopardizing your oral health by skipping oral exams is never a good idea. At Mayfaire Family Dentistry, we can help keep your smile in tip-top shape with convenient, comfortable, progressive dental care. Contact us today to schedule your routine dental exam and cleaning. We can’t wait to see you smile brightly!