If you’re interested in improving your look and feel, properly caring for your teeth at home is a good place to start. After all, healthy teeth and gums are an essential part of living a healthy life and maintaining a beautiful smile. Fortunately, practicing good oral health habits at home doesn’t have to be complicated. Here’s what you should know about caring for your teeth at home before scheduling your next routine dental exam with Dr. Overton and the friendly team at Mayfaire Family Dentistry.
We Treat Your Smile with a Smile
Custom-Tailored Dentistry for the Whole Family
Why is oral health important?
It’s no surprise that your oral health can impact how your smile looks, but did you also know that the well-being of your smile can also impact your general health? It’s true. When your teeth and gums are in good condition, you’re less likely to experience health concerns, such as heart disease and diabetes. Likewise, when you develop a dental concern, such as gum disease or tooth decay, leaving it to its own devices could jeopardize your overall health in the long run. For this reason, it’s important to prevent oral health problems from occurring and treat them as soon as you notice them.
What preventive services are offered at Mayfaire Family Dentistry?
At Mayfaire Family Dentistry, we offer many preventative dental services to help keep your teeth healthy for a lifetime. Some of these include:
- Dental Cleanings: To remove sticky plaque and tartar buildup that can lead to decay and gum disease
- Comprehensive Exams: To identify potential dental concerns and address them as quickly as possible
- Dental Sealants: Protect the enamel of your teeth and prevent cavities in the crevices of your molars
- Fluoride Treatments: Strengthens the enamel of your teeth and prevents tooth decay from forming
- Oral Cancer Screenings: To look for signs of oral cancer that you might not be aware of, such as lumps or white spots inside your mouth
- Nightguards: Protects your teeth from experiencing damage from clenching or grinding your teeth when you sleep.
How can people maintain their oral health at home?
Practicing good oral health habits at home is easier than you might think. Keep these tips in mind to maintain strong gums and healthy teeth:
- Brush twice a day
- Floss once a day
- Switch out old toothbrushes every six months
- Use toothpaste with fluoride in it
- Schedule regular dental cleanings and exams
- Avoid certain foods and drinks, such as sweets, that are hard to remove from the crevices of your teeth
What are the long-term benefits of good oral health?
Taking the time to care for your smile at home can benefit you in a variety of ways, including:
- Supporting your overall health
- Making it easier to bite and chew
- Preventing dental diseases, such as gum disease
- Enhancing the beauty of your smile
- Boosting self-confidence
- Maintaining good hygiene
Mayfaire Family Dentistry Can Keep You Smiling Bright
Taking good care of your teeth and maintaining a healthy smile are some of the best ways to help your overall dental health. At Mayfaire Family Dentistry, we understand having a healthy mouth begins with a daily routine, like using an electronic toothbrush for daily brushing, avoiding acidic drinks, drinking plenty of water daily, daily flossing, and scheduling routine dental appointments. These are essential components for your personal home care. Our trusted team is eager to help you achieve your individual needs and the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve!