Few things can impact the health and appearance of your smile as much as having severely damaged or missing teeth. Along with taking away from its visual appeal, damaged or missing teeth can lead to other serious dental concerns, including pain, shifting teeth, and bone erosion. Fortunately, you don’t have to live with a damaged smile or dental restorations that no longer look or feel as natural as your own teeth. With dental implants, you can replace your missing teeth and improve your quality of life. Here’s what you need to know about dental implants before scheduling your appointment at Mayfaire Family Dentistry.
We Treat Your Smile with a Smile
Custom-Tailored Dentistry for the Whole Family
Dental Implants Overview
Dental implants are screw-shaped titanium rods used to replace a missing tooth’s root. They’re inserted into a person’s jaw bone allowing the two to fuse together over time. This creates a strong foundation to support a tooth-colored dental crown that looks, feels, and functions like a natural tooth. Because dental implants fuse together with the individual’s bone, they’re permanent and cannot be removed like traditional dentures or bridges.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants have quickly become popular among dentists and patients due to their many benefits. Some advantages that come with choosing dental implants include the following:
- Improving facial structure
- Enhancing the beauty of your smile
- Restoring the normal function of your teeth, including biting, chewing, and speaking
- Preventing bone erosion
- Long-lasting option (with good oral hygiene, they can last a lifetime)
While a dental implant can help many people restore their damaged smile, it may not suit everyone. The best candidate for dental implant surgery is someone who has severely damaged or missing teeth but has enough available jaw bone to support the implant.
What Are the Different Types of Dental Implants?
As a cosmetic dentistry service, there are two main types of implants offered at Mayfaire Family Dentistry. Dr. Overton will recommend one of the following based on the condition of your mouth:
- Endosteal: These are the most common type of implant. They’re inserted directly into the jawbone, providing a durable foundation for a dental crown.
- Subperiosteal: These are used when insufficient jaw bone is available to support an implant. They’re placed under the gum tissue but on top of the bone.
Dental implants can also come in different forms, allowing one, multiple, or all of your teeth to be replaced. These include:
- A single implant: If you’re missing one tooth, a single implant can replace its root and allow a dental crown to be attached to it.
- Implant-Supported Bridges: Two dental implants on either side of the gap caused by a missing tooth can hold a prosthetic tooth in place.
- All-on-4 Dental Implants: Four dental implants hold a full set of missing upper or lower teeth.
What Implants Are Offered at Mayfaire Family Dentistry?
At Mayfaire Family Dentistry, we’re proud to offer modern dental implants that can help you achieve the beautiful, healthy smile you have in mind. If your teeth are severely damaged or missing, Dr. Overton and his experienced team are prepared to place your dental implants, help you maintain them, or replace them if you experience an issue with them over time. The good news is that most dental implants with good oral health habits will last a lifetime.
Restore Your Smile with Dental Implants at Mayfaire Family Dentistry
Tooth replacement treatments, like dental implants, can be the best option to improve the beauty of your smile. If you are ready to have healthy teeth, Mayfaire Family Dentistry is here to help. Our dentist’s office can help meet your specific needs and improve the function of your mouth through an individualized treatment plan. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or discuss your tooth replacement options and see what you are a good candidate for. We look forward to helping you reach your long-term oral health goals!